Indulge in delicious saffron shrimp and provençal vegetables with the perfect combo of eggplant, fennel, tomato, and saffron—a mix common to Mediterranean and Provençal cuisines—delivers fresh flavor and myriad nutrients. The shrimp add satiating protein.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 2 scallions, greens only, minced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 large fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp saffron threads
- 1/8 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp nasturtium leaves or petals, chopped, plus 4 flowers for garnish
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar 20 Texas Bay shrimp (or any 21–25 count shrimp—often labeled large or jumbo), peeled and deveined
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp olive oil. Add shallots and scallions; cook until soft, 1 minute. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add fennel and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add saffron, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until veggie mixture has stewlike consistency, 15 minutes. Add chopped nasturtiums, parsley, and sugar; cook 5 minutes.
- In medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tbsp oil. Add shrimp and cook, flipping once, until they turn pinkish and are no longer translucent, 4 minutes.
- Divide shrimp and veggies among 4 plates. Garnish with flowers. Serve hot.See also Provençal Vegetable Medley